Friday, May 30, 2014

5-year Anniversary & ISP Update - NBME #15

Click to embiggen.

Five years ago today, this is where Wife and I were - gettin' hitched. Now, she's an RN and I just finished my second year of medical school. Time is flying, and today was packed.

This morning, I took another NBME practice exam - more on that below - while Wife took Hobbes to the Dog Beach in Muskegon. When she came home, I took the afternoon off. It also included a scavenger hunt, complete with poem clues and hidden gifts. It was a ton of fun. We do the "traditional" anniversary gifts - a different material for each year. This year was the wood year, and it was the first year we actually made each other cry a bit with the meaning and emotion inherent in our gifts. I got her a carved figurine that has special meaning, and she got me a handmade/carved wooden bowl from the Holland Bowl Mill. I can't explain why it meant so much to me - it's just awesome. She personalized it with the wood-burned verse Ruth 1:16 around the edge - "Where you go I will go, and where you stay I will stay." on the top and "Happy 5 years!! Love, [Wife]" on the bottom. She gets me. It is good.

For the less fun news, brevity is best:

Took my 3rd 4-hour practice Step 1 exam today.

Score has gone up quite a bit, yet not enough quite yet.

I sort of wish I had a better idea of what my expectations should be during all this.

Sharing scores feels awfully... personal. So I'm not doing it.

At least not until it feels like Step 1 doesn't matter anymore. Then I might share.

I will say this: I want my score to go up.

And so.

I study.

1 comment:

Susan said...

Verrry cool anniversary ideas, beeeeutiful wedding picture! Sounds like an awesome day...now go study.

The Tags

accomplishment (2) AMCAS (1) anniversary (5) application (17) awesome (23) backpacking (8) bike (8) Biochemistry (13) Birthday (1) books (2) Break (46) bummer (2) camping (5) Christmas (4) crazy (30) Curiosity (10) doctor (7) Emergency Medicine (7) exams (37) Fail (4) fun (56) funny (22) Gear (8) God (2) Grand Rapids (2) grey hair (1) Honeymoon (2) Interview (8) iPad (2) Jintus Study (11) MCAT (14) med school (55) Mental Case (1) Motivation (4) Moving (4) MSU CHM (70) music (1) Naiya (22) Nerves (2) News (3) Nicole (40) Notes Plus (1) personal statement (5) Philosophy (1) photos (34) premed (4) random (25) Resources (9) Review (13) Running (6) Scary (2) Schedule (5) Science (1) Shadowing (6) sick (8) Specialty (4) stress (13) Studying (44) surgery (4) Tech (2) Tired (3) Travel (14) Travis (5) volunteering (3) Wife (26)
HyperSmash